Thursday, October 7, 2010
Candy Corn Sugar Cookies
And thanks again to "Jamie Cooks It Up" (no doubt my new favorite "friend" for the month), this is what we'll be doing this weekend! I can't wait for Saturday!!!!
2 white cake mixes (I use Duncan Hines)
1 C melted butter
5 T sour cream
1/4 C flour
1/2 tsp almond extract (or vanilla)
1/2 tsp yellow food coloring gel
1/2 tsp orange food coloring gel
6 T softened butter
3 C powdered sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract (or vanilla)
4 - 5 T milk
1. Mix all ingredients except food coloring until nicely combined
2. Split the dough into thirds. Add the yellow food coloring to one section and the orange food coloring to another section. Split each color into two sections.
3. Roll each section (you should have six) into approximately 9x4 rectangles.
4. Take a pizza cutter and cut each rectangle into thirds (so you have 18 strips)
5. Gently place a yellow, orange, and white strip together. Press the seams down a bit with your finger so they begin to stick. They don't need to be perfect! If they split apart when you move them, just press them back together.
6. Take a sharp knife (or pizza cutter works great) and cut the strips into triangles.
7. Bake @ 350 for 8 minutes. Better to have them be a little under done than over done!
8. Let them cool completely before frosting.
For frosting: In a stand mixer, or with hand held mixer mix all frosting ingredients except food coloring. Beat it well! You want it to have a whipped texture to it! Divide the frosting into thirds and add food coloring. Place in ziplock bags tied at the top with a twist tie. Cut small triangle from a bottom corner. And have fun decorating away!!!! Let me know how you like them!!!